Thursday, November 29, 2012

Prone

Jon went into Kaiser yesterday for lab work. Following the labs, he received a call from a doctor inquiring about his well-being. Jon was quite moved by this gesture...his white count was 1.1 and the doctor wanted to make sure he was doing Ok. Today we spent five hours at Kaiser preparing for the next leg of the race (radiation therapy). Jon felt better than yesterday, but his white count was surprisingly .8

This number suggests that he reached nadir today (Day 11). This would be the same day/blood count as his last chemotherapy cycle. We are praying that he comes out of nadir without fever...

The radiation planning meeting had Jon extended in a prone position as the radiation oncologist (Dr. Girvigian), a resident, a radiation tech, and a nurse evaluated and inked his rear end. Jon described the experience as both humorous and humbling.

Jon's CT scan measured the tumor as 3.48 x 2.5 x 2.9 cm. This is smaller than his 10/9 MRI measurement of 4.5 x 3.3 x 2.7

And...necrosis (death of cells or tissue) was evident in the CT scan! This is great news and proves chemotherapy is working.

Radiation therapy will commence Tuesday December 11th. Jon will go to Kaiser five days/week for 25 days/5,000 CyG. Most of the side effects will be local not systemic. Jon will also get his first tattoo--a few small dots around the tumor.

While on disability, Jon has taken on eating as his new full time job. Today he managed to consume enough calories to compensate for a week of poor appetite. Those that know him well will not be surprised that he excels at this skill....

We are blessed by the love and support that continues to pour out from our friends and family...and I am especially grateful for the humor that seems to ride with us on this journey...We are finding laughter in all sorts of sterile places...this is grace.

12 comments:

  1. Dear Sarah Lynn & Jon and boys,
    Thanks be to God for tumor shrinkage and humor in sterile places! You all are daily in my prayers. I pray that God protects Jon's body and spirit from the toxic affects of chemo...and the darkness of mind and soul that it can bring. I pray that rad goes smoothly... And may you continue to find moments of grace and unexpected blessings along this journey.
    Grace & peace and hope hope hope to you all.
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy the tumor is shrinking! And a tattoo! I hope it glows in the dark....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think about you guys daily, and the insanity of this. How could it all be happening? Sending always all my love your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's shrinking! Yay! I love that you are able to laugh and find humor in this situation. I love you guys so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great news!
    Jon, I was certain that your first tattoo would include my name somehow... give it some thought for tattoo number 2?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jon and Sarah Lynn, ....this Nate friend is funny. enjoying his comments. I am also enjoying visualizing Jon in the prone position, getting his glute examined. I am sure the team of staff enjoyed it too. Just sayin' Jon....if you got it, flaunt it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What great joy you guys are in life.

    How cool we can now love the word "necrosis." Here's a toast to more and more and more of it.

    Light and love from the McLaughlins

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY!!!!! I have waited anxiously to hear if there was actual shrinkage... I'm thrilled to hear that YES the chemo IS working. Woot! :) I a also thoroughly enjoying many of the comments. Sarah, you are skilled at articulating this mess in a way that makes sense and despite the seriousness of the subject matter, happy to hear you're able to find some humor. I love you guys - we all do! The Michael Family continues to pray and send positive thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was teaching Ella the wonders of Pig Latin last night at dinner with my parents. The phrase that got everyone snickering was 'Atch-way Our-yay Utt-bay'. We'll keep that mantra going here as we hold all of you in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok - so now we are understanding that your gracious "appearances" at St. James' events over the weekend may have been aimed primarily at inspecting others' tatoos to see what would work best ..... no? ...... well, and seriously, for all of us it was a blessing and a treat to see your smiles and to hear the latest news.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keeping Jon and your family in my prayers. Beth O'Callaghan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Jon! Paul K just directed me to your blog here. I can't believe you're going through this. As your old teammate I have to tell you ill be joining your new team as I follow this blog and pray for you and your family. I did have to laugh at your wife's comment about you eating a weeks worth of food. I remember that clearly from the ol' c-stone track days :) Emily (Romberger) Harrill

    ReplyDelete